Daniel Cruz Academic Portfolio

Rhetorical Text-1

Safwat Saleem is an artist who faced many challenges growing up with a stutter. He talks about his childhood problems due to his stutter. As he got older he became a visual artist where people were now making fun of his accent in his voiceover videos. Then he talks about the concept of normal saying that there is no correct “normal” therefore he gains confidence in his voice. A rhetorical strategy that I found interesting is illustrations. I find this strategy very interesting because it can help your audience understand the message you are trying to convey. If you were to vocally describe something to a group there could be people that don’t know what your are trying to describe so you can show images that would help them gain an understanding. Also images are a universal language where anyone can try to understand stand a picture and try to get the message out of it whereas a text/language where only people know that specific language can understand. I suspect the author used this strategy to show us how he felt as a child, his artwork, his voice over animations, a bit of comedy and much more. The purpose of his illustrations was to help the audience understand what he went through, to show off his work and to overall convey his message. The author’s target audience was for people who struggle with their speech and when he talks about the concept of “normal” it could apply to anyone who thinks or feels that they are out of place. The author made his speech appeal to his target audience by opening up making sure that the Ted talk was a safe place for him to express himself as well as his arts that is related to his problems. 

Jamila Lyiscott is a poet and educator who made a speech on “broken English.” She talks about how she is articulate because she speaks English in 3 different ways with her friends, family and in school. She goes into the history of the language to its present day form which is different. While hearing her speech I connected with her because I also speak different around friends, family and in school. A rhetorical strategy that I found interesting is tone. Tone is a way in how someone says something which leaves an impression on the audience.This strategy is interesting because there are many different tones which someone can use to help express themselves. I suspect that Jamila used this strategy to express herself in the best possible way by saying her speech almost as if she was rapping it. The purpose of her speech in this tone is to show her way of expressing the English language. Her target audience are people who speak “broken” English and with different tones. Jamila made her speech appeal to her target audience by making it different because of the way she spoke. The way she used her tone was unique, and I’ve never seen anything like it.  

Melissa Lozada-Oliva an Guatelombian-American poet and screen writer who made a speech about her Spanish identity. She starts every sentence with “my Spanish” then connects her language to her life and memories. Part of her speech mentions the struggles of Latinos who don’t speak Spanish. A rhetorical strategy that I found interesting is repetition. The author repeatedly says “my Spanish” which emphasizes her language. Her Spanish identity was  described in many ways and she also described issues she is going through, as well as other Latinos, with the Spanish language. This strategy is interesting because it really emphasizes the Spanish language and her points connected to it which makes others relate to her poem. I suspect the author used this strategy to bring awareness to the struggles of new Latinos in America who aren’t learning Spanish. The target audience are all Latinos in America because less and less Latinos are speaking Spanish. The author appealed to her audience by making her points relatable for non fluent Spanish speakers.